Friday, March 6, 2009

Whats wrong with me?

With in 15 days I had second accident.
First one when my bike slipped over some water spilled on road.
And today, when an old lady from nowhere suddenly appeared infront of me.
First accident was partly my fault. What made me get into it, I will try writing in another other post.
But todays accident was an unnecessary event happened.
After my first accident, I decided to a keep a check on my speed.
Now I do not cross 40 km/hr on a bit busy road and 50kms/hr on a clear road.
Today it was a bit heavy traffic road and I was hardly touching the speed of 35.
Well in such a situation there is no way an accident can happen.
While driving with such a slow speed, I saw an old lady standing near the road.
But she do not sem to had any intention to cross road.
There were 2 bikes very close ahead of me and definitely one or two bikes were following.
In such a situation even I would not dare to cross the road.
What happened in next few fraction of seconds is difficult to explain in words.
That lady suddenly started crossing road. Now since I drive at a slower speed, I was on track on left side of the road.
Suddenly this lady was standing infront of me and I had no chance to put brakes.
What best I could do was to try to apply brakes and at the same time try moving a bit on right side.
But the intermediate space was not enough to miss her.
My handle hit her shoulder and in an attempt to save her I lost control. I managed to stand on my feet while the bike the hit the ground.
Even though I stood on my feet but the handle brushed across my knees which is paining now.
On the other side the old lady was sitting on the road. People standing around gathred around her .
They picked her up and made her sit on nearby bus stop. Her hand was scratched and was bit bleeding. People asked her if she is fine.She claimed to be fine.
I picked up my vehicle and parked it aside and went to check if she is fine.
In the mean time I realised that people around are less interested in her well-being and are more interested in making me take her to hospital and pay her for what ever happened.
I decided to be firm and straight away headed towards her avoiding any interupption from surrounding people.
I asked her if she is fine and should I take her to the Doctor?
Well she respectfully denied to go the doctor.
People around were insisting on me take her to the doctor.
Later I asked where does she stay and If instead of going to doctor she wants to go home.
To this she agreed. Her home was near by.
Even when she was sitting on my bike people wanted me to take her to the hospital and spend some money in some or the other way.
I ignored all the people and straight moved out of the crowd.
Dropped her at home and then was free to go to office.
I am bit worried for the lady. Main concern is the heavy jolt she received and that too with her old age.
I thought some thing is wrong with me and thats why am getting into these accidental situations again and again. But probably that was not all true.
Because alot more was to happen.
I took my vehicle to the nearest petrol pump. While waiting for my turn, I saw a lady driving vehicle with a small kid standing infront.She took a turn and suddenly her vehicle slipped. She immediatley managed to gain control but bythat time the kid had lost control and fall down almost upside down.
Again the crowd rushed to the incident place.
I moved ahead a bit and something just happened there. This time I was not the witness of the incident. The crowd was just gathering. A guy on pulsur this time had slipped and while on the way to earth thrashed few other bikes. It was a much bigger chaos this time than the earlier two incidents.
Afterwards no other incident although happened but all the way I could sense sudden screaching of brakes, some abusal interactions on road crossing and many such things.

So, nothing was actually wrong with me but something in air made all things happen.

I am wondering, my first accident reduced my speed to 40 ±10.

Now what speed should I take after the second incident?

Will any more speed reduction be helpful?

1 comment:

V. Ganesh said...

woosh! scary...

I go to univ here everyday cycling. But I don't think I will every try to go even on cycle on Pune roads!