Thursday, January 4, 2018

Maharashtra Bandha: What exactly is achieved?

PC: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/maharashtra-bandh-live-updates-mumbai-pune-dalits-marathas-bhim-koregaon-5009428/

After a long long time, we all Maharashtrians experienced a  "Bandha" that halted Maharashtra for a day. Frankly speaking I only faintly remember coming across the name "Bhima-Koregaon" till day before yesterday. That is why, when I read some news about "rail roko aandolan" in Chembur on 2nd January marking a protest for Bhima-Koregaon incident, I got no clue. I thought it is just minor issue which will be resolved by the time,we head back to home. But over the time, it started getting more and more ambitious. By the evening, it reached a level of giving sigh of relief for every member reaching home safely. 
It was a compulsory holiday next day. Apparently it was supposed to be a peaceful bandh. But as is experience, it never is peaceful. Repercussions observed in all parts of Maharashtra and quite a lot in Mumbai. I really could not understand what is achieved out of this Bandha? Why did they start it and why it was withdrawn suddenly? Surprisingly, within minutes of withdrawing Bandha call, everything got regularized with in minutes. Does it mean, all the anger people had in mind got evaporated suddenly?
I got no clue. I never understand such tactics. I am just wondering how long will such Bandhs be allowed to take place in India, that achieves nothing but destroys everything around.

No comments: